October 28, 2021
photo above: youtube.com
WN: The charts below tell a compelling story of overweening Greed, Hatred and Fear–the three longstanding Counter-Virtues of American militarized capitalism.1 The Three Theological Virtues by contrast are
So we pray: Lord, have mercy on the Planet. Lord, have mercy on the generations that follow . . .
The financial reconciliation agreement announced by the White House includes $555 billion for climate change, to be spent over the next ten years. The current level of federal spending on climate change is roughly $2.4 billion per year, making this an enormous boost in the government’s commitment to climate change.
Our spending isn’t just misguided; it’s immoral. Our choices today are condemning millions of people—descendants—to death.
Compare Biden’s budget figure with what the US is projected to spend on the military over the same 10-year period:
Does that look like a reasonable balance to you?
The next chart carries forward the president’s proposed climate spending and the military budget to the year 2100 (in today’s dollars) and puts it alongside the projected cost of climate change to the United States that year (also in today’s dollars):
The final chart is a look backward over the last 20 years. Roughly 4,000 Americans died from terrorism during that period, including on 9/11 itself. Meanwhile, an estimated 750,000 people died during the same period because they didn’t have health insurance, and roughly 2 million died from air pollution.
That chart is below, but you’ll have to scroll a long way to reach its end, so we’ll conclude here. Our spending isn’t just misguided; it’s immoral. Our choices today are condemning millions of people—descendants—to death.
This system won’t change itself. It’s going to take action – lots of action. Join the Sunrise Movement, or Zero Hour (no connection to the radio show), or Extinction Rebellion (I’m a member, for what it’s worth).
Estimated climate deaths from air pollution: 200,000/yr x 20 years
Health insurance deaths: 45,000 per year until Affordable Care Act, then 30,000 per year (more detail on calculations here)
Terrorism deaths: 9/11, attacks on US civilians abroad, etc.
Please click on: Military vs Climate Spending
- Please see any of these posts to learn more.
- Canadian Friends of Sabeel
- Deeming Pollution of Earth Sinful, Pope Proposes…
- Mercy, Mr. Harper, Not Sacrifice (Jesus)
- Prison or mercy? A Jan. 6 rioter weighs his sins and…
- Gustavo Gutiérrez and the preferential option for the poor
- Trump Card: The Bully Who Exposes Our Bully Nation
- Onward, Moderate Christian Soldiers
- Announcing: "First Nations Version An Indigenous…
- "Apocalyptic" Melting Transpires in Antarctica as…
- Paul’s Gospel and Caesar’s Empire
- Enemy Love As Core Gospel
- Christianity and the Subversion of Just About Everything!
- After 30 Years Studying Climate, Scientist Declares:…
- Nonviolence and the Book of Revelation with an…
- Against The Death Penalty
- Revelations of Divine Love
- The Two Great Commandments and Prison Ministry
- The Price of White Evangelical Patriarchy
- On Some Bad House Manager Language
- Dread, white and blue
Powered by Contextual Related Posts